Sunday, February 7, 2010

Oh What A Night

Who knew that the story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons was so riveting?  I saw "Jersey Boys" yesterday at The Orpheum Theatre in Memphis.  I was supposed to see the show the previous Saturday, but was snowed in.  The Orpheum graciously exchanged my ticket and I felt sheepish about all those mean comments I put on their facebook page (which I did NOT go back and delete...integrity). 

I was shown to my seat and immediately, much to my chagrin, I discovered that I was seated right smack dab in the middle of an "Idiots Go To Town" group.  That's what I get for my one ticket status (how many times on the way up to the upper gallery was I asked, "Just one ticket?").  These folks came over from some far away place (Forest City, Union City, Yazoo City...who the hell knows) and were busy making plans for dinner after the show.  I wanted so badly to direct them to the nearest Danvers, but thought better of it.  The lights went out and the show started.

What a FABULOUS show.  I am probably the only 35 year old woman who can name most of the Four Season's hits and I have loved Frankie Valli's nasal voice my whole life.  The show told of the early struggles the band endured on their way to fame and fortune.  The pitfalls were just as exciting as the highlights.  I wonder how much of it is accurate.  Did they really sing "Sherry" to the producer over the phone?  Was "December 1963 (Oh What A Night)" really about a band mate's loss of virginity?  Was he really involved in a threesome???  Did they really say the F word back then?  Were they really in that much debt due to early deal making??  Who cares.  It was all awesome.  The dialogue was fresh and sarcastic, not at all cliched.  The musical numbers were excellent.  It was a festival of Guidos on stage! 

The Band of Idiots really enjoyed the show.  They enjoyed it so much that they held an impromptu cast tryout from their seats.  How loud were they singing along that I could hear them over The Orpheum's booming sound system??  I chalked it up to the law of nature...retards were going to be everywhere, blindly having their fun without regard to the people around them.  I wonder, if I had taken out a cigarette and enjoyed it, would they have been offended?  I bet the answer is yes, but hearing an off-key Frankie Valli wannabe all during the show was just as offensive.  When the first F bomb was dropped, the sharp intake of breath robbed me of oxygen.  I hope they enjoyed their dinner at the Butcher Shop on Beale.  I could have corrected them, the Butcher Shop is actually on Front, but I figured what they really needed was a trip down Beale and back looking lost and white. 

The show ended with the group's reunion at their induction to The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, performing "Who Loves You" (my favorite).  The cast was excellent, the Orpheum staff was excellent, the Band of Idiots...well, whatever, all in all...A Saturday well spent!  Oh and Frankie Valli...you are still on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment