Saturday, February 27, 2010

And So It Begins

Last night I branched out.  For the past several weeks, Friday night means the start of a two day couch marathon.  Not sure what is going on there, but I have never been so exhausted (mentally, physically, emotionally) in my life.  Since I have once again sworn off dating, I revisit that familiar no social life void each week and hang out there until Monday.  It was awesome for the first couple of weeks, I must admit.  Just me and my dog, reading magazines, watching "Real Housewives" marathons, rewatching old movies.  Steady doses of Advil PM to induce the dreamy coma like state.  But, I noticed something a couple of weeks ago.  I have become a recluse.  Not answering the phone.  Hoping to God no one knocks on my door (not that I would answer).  Turning all the lights off so that people will think I am not home and just keep on driving.  I am not reclusive by nature, so I knew something was wrong.  What to do??

I have been saying for a long time that all I really needed was some girlfriends.  Not a date.  Not a boyfriend.  Nothing but some good old fashioned hens.  Real ones...not internet buddies, not coworkers, but real live people to have coffee with.  I didn't Petition The Universe on this one, because I felt I had complete control of this situation and I hesitate to ask for something that I could do for myself (once again placing limits on prayer).  So, I made an effort.  I joined an aerobics class.  I made up a group on facebook.  I joined Meetup.com.  And...yesterday, my efforts finally paid off. 

A just moved to Collierville, TN, a suburb of Memphis (in the opposite direction of Covington, where I live).  She graduated from the same college as me in rural west Georgia.  For those of you who have ever transplanted yourself to a new place, you know the excitement of meeting someone in the new place who has ties to the old place.  This rarely happens for me, as I have only met 2 other people in Memphis who had any idea about where I am from (in case you are interested...I was raised in LaGrange, GA and went to college in Carrollton, GA UWG).  A knows.  So, when she invited me out for dinner last night, I was excited...for a minute.

Then, my couch screamed at me.  "HEY!!! WHAT ABOUT ME??".  My dog looked at me as though I had just eaten all of her doggy snacks.  I think even the last leftover Valentine's Day flower wilted a little.  Then, finally, the voice.  The voice in my head (not the schizophrenic kind) chimed in.  "Kelly, dear, you aren't really considering driving all the way to Memphis to meet this chic when you are about to be unemployed and broke, and it's Friday...you are tired, you need rest.  Call her and cancel. Save your gas and your cash" You know, I just realized that "the voice" sounds exactly like my mother!  No No No No.  I snapped.  Last weekend was the LAST weekend that I was going to waste, sitting around rotting.  I went on ahead with my social self. 

A and I drank wine and laughed loudly.  It was AWESOME!  She could totally relate to my homesickness.  We even lived in the same dank dark dorm, though not at the same time.  When I mentioned how nasty the showers were, she knew exactly what I was talking about.  We lamented the absence of Publix in the Memphis area (sorry, Schnuck's...you just don't cut it).  I reassured her that Memphis will likely wrap it's grimy fingers around her and keep her here.  She wasn't so sure, but hey, it happened to me.  And when it was time to settle up, her authentic Coach purse made an appearance and I knew that we were going to be fast friends.  What was even more reassuring, we related very well to each other in the present.  And, now I have plans for the next two weekends!  Let the branching begin. 

As I was driving home, I tried to sing along with the radio and realized that my voice was hoarse.  That is something that I am not used to, talking so much that my voice runs out.  I made it home at a fairly early hour, changed my clothes and curled up on the couch with my latest read ("Committed" by Elizabeth Gilbert...SCORE!).  My dog jumped up on the couch and barked at me, as if to say, "Thank God you are back home.  Where have you been? What have you been doing? Who have you been talking to? What did y'all talk about? Are you going to do this every weekend? Why are you wasting your time with women when you could be out with a guy?"  It was then that I realized, my dog's voice sounds exactly like my mother's.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in Collierville. She really is going to have a hard time leaving.

    Mind if I join you two one night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always welcome! I will send you my number via facebook. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete