Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto

This is the only Japanese phrase I know. And, I only know this phrase thanks to Styx. But, I am going to have to brush up on my Japanese because....I'M GOING TO JAPAN!!

I think.

I mean, I am pretty sure.

Something could change though.

Either way, I am submitting my carefully filled out passport application today, along with 2 2x2 pictures of me in need of a haircut. My travel good fortune isn't nearly as random as it seems, though. My brother lives in Japan, Okinawa to be exact. Saturday morning, as I was sipping my coffee and doing my usual Saturday morning lazy facebook stalking ritual, my mother buzzed in and asked me if I would go to Japan in April, with her.

Would I? Would I? (hairlip hairlip)

I immediately said yes, then immediately regretted it. I spoke out of desire, but my anxiety wasn't far behind. Do they have toilets in Japan? Is there violence in Japan? How long is that flight, anyway? How much does Japan cost? How long will (can) we stay? How much work will I miss (miss...hahahaha)? Can my mother and I get along for that length of time? What will become of Ms. Harriet? Do they have toilets in Japan???

I stuck by my affirmative answer when I realized that Keith will be leaving Japan later this year. I love my brother, but I would so much rather visit him in Japan than say, Witchita. So, once in a lifetime opportunity came knocking, and I answered. I'm plodding along, getting things done such as obtaining a passport, with an eye to reality, which is that the trip could fall through.

My mother insisted that I phone my 76 year old father to see if he would like to go as well. I tried to remind her of the last plane trip with my father, circa 1987, Atlanta to Nashville. Somewhere over Northern Alabama, my father's seat started jiggling and he came UNGLUED. I'm sure his name is on some sort of list. *shudder* I guess mom thought that dad's recent brush with death had relieved him of all his inhibition, so she insisted. So, I did as I was told and called him up. I expected a hearty laugh followed by a string of expletives and then a list of reasons why I shouldn't go.

Surprisingly, that isn't at all what I got. What I got was a lengthy silence, then a quiet "I can't go to Japan." Not "I ain't going over there!" or "Shit naw I don't want to go to China!" or even, "Who is this??!!". Just simply, "I can't go to Japan." To completely break my heart, my dad added, "Sure, I'd love to go, but what if I get over there and get sick?" If I had any doubts about going, they were done. "Too late" had arrived for my dad. How terrible to reach the point of "Should have" as opposed to "Should I?" Returning to typical dad, he muttered something about a trip like that being a lot of money. He gave his blessing for us to go and have a good time. Ok then, its settled.

I will be adding a photo to my collection of photos to display on my nightstand at Shady Acres Nursing Home. I call it my "I did!" collection. Formermeangirl in Japan will sit next to Formermeangirl at the Hoover Dam, in Times Square, having a drink in Ybor City, wearing a Snuggie in public, and hopefully many many other pictures of moments of "Would I? Would I!"

hairlip hairlip.

No comments:

Post a Comment