Friday, August 6, 2010

Liquor is Quicker

Wow, I was really burned out yesterday. I am really curious about the statistics of how many public service workers have drinking problems. I was all lathered up about the government dole yesterday, I came home and stewed, blogged, even squeezed out a couple of tears of frustration. Then, I went back to work. It's what I do. So, I am taking a break from doing in favor of getting the writing about doing back on track yesterday afternoon, when I had an epiphany.

I haven't been utilizing my interns properly. I have never had interns; therefore, I have no idea what their role is. But, now I know. They are there to do the grunt work. I am there to determine the need, not meet it. So, some changes are in order. I get the sense that I am the only one who didn't know, and I can't blame anyone but myself. I too have been guilty of not telling the new person all about the ways that us old timers are supposed to help her. That's my karma, I suppose.

After work, I went out and had margaritas and didn't discuss my frustration. Why bother. Anyone who knows me knows that I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. Plus, I get tired of the flip responses of "So, just quit and do something else". Right. Anyway, I came home and watched the election results and then went to bed.

And that is when it got strange.

I dreamed that it was Labor Day Weekend. And there was some sort of neighborhood fest. The people across the street had a huge shindig. A UPS truck pulled up and I didn't answer the door (which is standard operating procedure). I spied the very cute driver letting himself into my home. He had a large box. He opened the box and began putting cans of coke into my fridge. Then, he washed up my dishes! So, that is what brown can do for me! I came into the kitchen to question this stranger. He was very non chalant and said that he was just helping me out a little. THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN, all these people streamed into my home and posted up in my dining room. It was the crowd from across the street. At least 15 people were now sitting in my home, looking at me all expectantly. UPS guy says that he would like to take me out for dinner; however, it looks like I am busy. Right about that time, I looked outside and was horrified to see all these broken down campers on my lawn, with what appeared to be carnie type folks malingering around them. The campers looked like they had been there for decades! I was trying to tell him that I had no idea who any of these people were, but it was too loud. I woke up MAD AS HELL.

So, today, I am going to give some thought to what the hell that's about. Oh, and do some social work too. It's what I do.

2 comments:

  1. Can you maybe just send the UPS guy over here? :D And don't worry. I'm sure I'm way older than you and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent years figuring out what I DON'T want to be when I grow up!! The list is long.

    ReplyDelete