Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Surely It Isn't Supposed to Be This Easy

I have lost count of how many dates The Candidate and I have been on in the last two weeks. I'm no fan of whirlwind romances, but I have to admit that it is nice. I find myself slipping into the all too familiar thoughts of "Uh Oh, this is too easy..." and waiting for the shoe to fall. I am still in the "checking out" phase of dating, but honestly, the quality of man that would be required to distract my attention away from The Candidate as this point rises every day.

I am posting this here, on my "normal" blog, because I am hesitant to filth up my dating journey blog with daisies, puppies, and sunshine. I can't bring myself to aim the cattiness beam at The Candidate. That blog isn't about what happens when I stop to take a rest on the road to Mr Right...not that I have determined that The Candidate is Mr Right, mind you; but he is pretty much the only guy I am seeing now.

Last night we met at a Mexican food joint in Millington, our new halfway spot. I have shed myself of a couple of formal dating rules in favor of being casual. We decided to grab some dinner and margaritas at the last minute, having spent the majority of the weekend in each other's company. The positive thing about that is that I actually wanted to see him again so soon. Having had a tiring day at work, I decided to test the comfort level and go full casual. Jeans and a t-shirt, hair in a knot, leftover work make-up. The Candidate beamed at me as if I had selected something from the "back of the closet collection". He liked my hair in a knot!

After dinner, we lingered over our pitcher of margaritas, discussing uplifting topics such as crazy family members, death, and end of life care. No, we weren't plotting anything, just peeling a few layers back to see beyond the Dave Chappelle quotes and music preferences. I kept an open mind, not immediately jumping ship at the differences in values. We interwove that conversation with funny little tidbits about the drama of dating. I began to notice that The Candidate dropped hints here and there, but remained reserved enough not to jump on those hints like a hungry Rottweiler.

I like to think of my life as cake. Cake is great by itself, or at least it should be. A relationship is the icing on said cake. Cake doesn't need icing to be good, but it does make it better. Sometimes. But, no amount of icing is going to make a bad cake good. Don't believe me? Substitute salt for sugar next time and then spread a can of frosting all over that mess and tell me how that works out. I have been perfecting my cake recipe for a while now, and I must say...it's good. Now that I am tweaking the recipe to include frosting, I must keep in mind that the basic ingredients must remain the same.

After all that lingering last night, we sat on the tailgate of his truck and enjoyed the cold front that was passing through. I was fiddling with my Iphone and I decided to snap a picture of us, one of those candid "la la la look at us" kinds of pics. As I turned the phone back around to view the result, I saw that in the pic, The Candidate was grinning. A man who actually smiles in photographs and then says, "It's a Celebration, Bitches!" is a man worthy of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment