Friday, February 18, 2011

Not So Fast

I am not going to Japan. And, I can honestly say that I am not that disappointed. In light of recent events with my dad, I can't be that far away. For example:

On a recent Sunday morning, my dad called me to say that he couldn't breathe and that he needed to go to the hospital. For my healthcare hating dad to say he NEEDED a hospital, it had to be serious. So, I reassured him to sit tight, I was already walking out the door to make the 13 mile trip to get him. The unfortunate fact is that I can make it to him before 911. What's sadder is that he lives less than 2 miles from the ambulance authority. My dad then says, "hold on, your brother wants to talk to you."

DO WHAT????

So, my brother gets on the phone and I say, "Yeah, so, he can't breathe...What are you doing? Get him to the ER now." My brother, not the sharpest tool in the shed, but a tool nonetheless, says, "Well, I didn't know about his insurance and all that."

My 76 year old father had open heart surgery last year. OF FACKING COURSE he has insurance. And, so what if he didn't? Was my brother just going to sit there fretting about medical bills as our dad draws his last panicked breath??

Yeah, so...I just can't, in good conscience, venture that far away. I don't feel resentful really, it's just a fact of life. Japan is so far away, but a guilt trip is even farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment